Monday, November 22, 2004

The Long and Winding Road

No pictures yet I'm afraid. We converted to broadband on Friday, but then on Saturday our line was disconnected somewhere under the streets of London. Apparently it can't be fixed until Tuesday, so I am phoneless, emailess and internetless at home. So this is a short at work post - I don't think I can start taking WIPs out at work, take photos of them, load the photos onto the PC and upload them to my blog. I haven't actually checked with my boss, but I think I know what the answer will be.

So, less than a week to go until the wedding! Great time to have no phone, it's not like I would need to speak to caterers, the venue or even friends and family is it? Anyway, I thought this would be a great time to start to try to knit something for me to wear on the big day. So, I thought, what would be the best thing to knit quickly? I know! Why don't I knit something lacy, in a really fine yarn? This strange idea came to me on Friday night, obviously buying the dress had sent my confidence levels soaring into overdrive.

Anyway, I had 3 balls of Rowan KidSilk Haze in my stash. They were originally purchased for Birch, but I did that in Donegal Lambswool 4 ply so I had then earmarked them for Karis, which I love. However, even in my current state, I know that I cannot finish Karis by Saturday, so I got them out and cast on for this. I knitted the scarf version of this about a month ago, used some Mohair Boucle from Touch Yarns that I bought at Ally Pally, so I know the pattern is very easy to follow.

I was right, the pattern was a easy and effective as I remembered. However, KidSilk Haze lasts forever. I have been knitting solidly since Friday evening and have only used 1½ balls - the patterns takes 3 balls to make. I have five evenings left until I get married. But now I'm in too deep, I can't give up. I will finish it. I will also (in those five evenings) buy myself some shoes, buy Josie some shoes, buy myself some jewellery/corsagey type thing to jazz up the dress, go and pay the caterer their deposit, confirm final numbers attending (without access to my email due to problem mentioned above), take Josie for a haircut, make 2 costumes for Sam & Josie's school play, write to the school to let them know that Sam & Josie will be missing next week off school, phone the hotel in Rome to confirm our reservation and airport transfer (will be interesting to do this without phone or email) and of course, do the usual cook dinner, wash clothes, oversee homework, read bedtime stories sort of thing.

All in all, a nice quiet, relaxing week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary, it's Fi. I'm stunned. You're doing all that and you STILL haven't got time to knit Karis before the weekend? Blimey. Speaking as someone who was stupid enough to start Karis, I can tell you that it is unlikely that I could finish it in five years.

I hope that your phone stuff gets sorted and that you get some fancy dancing boots.

Take care,
Fi